What's FAD TOOLS?
Fad Tools is a collection of three foundation design modules used to design and analyze foundations for transmission line structures. Each module is based on a semi-empirical models developed from full-scale foundation tests and calibrated for Reliability Based Design (RBD).
MFAD designs drilled shaft and direct embedded pole foundations subject to high overturning loads, moment and axial loads.
HFAD designs drilled shaft and direct embedded pole foundations for H-frame pole structures subject to a combination of overturning loads, horizontal shear and uplift or compression loads.
TFAD designs drilled shaft foundations for tower structure legs subjected to a combination of horizontal shear under uplift or compression loads.
Why use FAD TOOLS?
Semi-empirical model based on full scale load tests.
Geotechnical resistance models for both soil and/or rock.
Designs foundations for combined, moment, horizontal shear, and compression loads.
Designs foundations for combined, moment, horizontal shear, and uplift loads.
Considers the engineering properties of backfill for direct embedded poles.
Calibrated for Reliability Based Design (RBD).
Designs short-rigid shaft foundations, which are typical for the transmission line industry.
FAD is based on a four-spring model including lateral, side shear, base moment, and base shear springs.
Users can select springs and modules to best reflect particular design conditions.
Load-deflection graphs and tables are provided to evaluate various load and performance scenarios (free head push over analysis).
What's New With FAD TOOLS 5.1.20?
Improved input screens and reports.
Updated User Guide and FAQ List
Updates to user interface
- Window priority setting updated to allow other windows to have priority
- Added double-click feature to expand menus, open libraries, and run analysis of cases (users can still use the right-click menus)
Updates to file structure
- Addition of Switch Tool (allows user to internally transfer between MFAD, HFAD, and TFAD without exiting the program)
- Addition of Recent File Tool (lists last created database files)
- Open file feature on startup of program (replaces Options feature)
- Removed Import and Export file feature
New Data Libraries
- Backfill Data Library
- Concrete Data Library
New import feature for library data (allows copy-paste)
New look of Analysis window
- Checks associated with green colored passing cases
- Crosses in addition to red color change to failed cases
- Addition of ground line and top of shaft values
New look for messages
- Pop-up windows for warnings haven replaced by messages below window
- Warning and Error messages are now interactive and highlight issues
- Updated warning messages for geotechnical properties and loads
Updates to Performance Criteria
- User only required to enter a total deflection or a total rotation
- User only required to enter a non-recoverable deflection or a non-recoverable rotation
- Performance verification reported for ground line and top of shaft
New report formats
- Default report file type function (replaces open report feature)
- Reports now have headers and page numbers
- All input data appears on first sheet
- All output data starts on second sheet
- Total foundation length reported
- Note on nominal properties used in design
New plot features
- Key values identified on plots
- All plots have data tables
- Designer can select which plots and/or data to export to report
New Concrete options
- Added 14J and 18J bar sizes
- User can now enter separate Tie Steel Yield Strength and Longitudinal Steel Yield Strength
- Full length anchor bolt foundation diameter check
- Updated to meet ACI 318-14
- ACI code updates for shear stress and longitudinal reinforcement
- New FAD method for Longitudinal Reinforcement
Updated Pricing for 2018
- Network License - $2400 per tool
- PC License - $2200 per tool
FAD TOOLS News
Update is coming soon
Current FAD users, it is the policy of FAD Tools International that customers must maintain a current subscription with FAD Tools in order to receive technical support and software updates.
Customers that allow their subscriptions to lapse will be required to purchase new software licenses at the full price to receive updates and to reinstate their technical support. FAD Tools users that have a current subscription through the end of the billing year will receive invoices in November for their next billing year subscription payment.